Sunday, September 18, 2011

Cambodia Landmine Museum


Prior to arriving in Cambodia we had heard a little about a landmine and unexploded ordinance (UXO) problem in the country. It wasn’t until after we travelled to Cambodia and visited the Cambodia Landmine Museum that we realized the scope of this major issue which affects many-many people throughout the country and surrounding regions. Cambodia has more amputees per capita than any other country in the world.
Just a small number of cleared mines and other devices

Our first visible clues to the scope of this problem occurred driving around the outskirts of Siem Reap and visiting the Temples of Angkor. We saw signs indicating fields had been deemed safe and cleared of mines. We’d also been instructed not go to off any footpaths in outlying areas or places where there were no signs. Walking to and from the temples we were warmly greeted by bands of musicians who also happened to be mine victims, many visibly disabled, maimed or disfigured in some way. Instead of begging for money these groups have gotten together to sell CDs of their music and accept donations for playing live.

A group of mine victims performing outside a temple.

Aki Ra, a former child soldier of the Khmer Rouge and Vietnamese Army, founded the landmine museum back in 1997. After the war Aki used his expertise in explosives to dismantle these dangerous devices from surrounding areas. He then used the mines and UXOs he dismantled to fill the museum. Since then Aki has deservedly made quite a name for himself and his museum, he’s been featured on CNN, BBC and many other television and print media.

Just a few of the many dismantled mines and unexploded ordinance at the museum

Walking through the museum you get a sense of the enormity of land mines and UXOs left throughout the area. There are incredible stories of Aki Ra when he was a soldier, many-many dismantled devices divided up by make and model and statistics of current victims. Here is a short story told by Aki Ra displayed in the museum:

“My parents were killed by the Khmer Rouge and I was raised in army camps with other children. I received my first weapon when I was 10 years old. I fought for the Khmer Rouge until I defected to the Vietnamese army. This was in the early 1980s and I was still a child. As I was one of the newer soldiers in my unit I was required to go out at night and hunt for food. We hunted with our regular weapons, AK-47s or M-16s. When I would go into the jungle to hunt sometimes I would run into my friends from the Khmer Rouge, children like myself, whom I had grown up with, who were hunting for food to eat. We would hunt together and when we were through, play together. The next day we would kill each other.”

Stories like the above are scattered about the museum and really opened my eyes to the horrors of the Khmer Rouge and reminded me how lucky I was to have the upbringing I had. Thankfully there are people like Aki Ra out there helping make the current Cambodia a safer place. Many reports say that there are still over 5 million land mines in Cambodia today. One report states there are approximately 100 victims of landmines per month in Cambodia.

Example mine field. This could be anywhere in Cambodia

If you ever come to Siem Reap we would highly recommend you pay a visit to the Landmine Museum. It’s only a few dollars donation entrance fee and well worth the price.
Cheers for Now -

Pamela and Dave

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated